Subject: Sterilization of Ir-192 Seeds in Nylon Tubing
Author:  radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu at hq2ccgw
Date:    8/29/95 10:07 AM

Has anyone ever had to sterilize nylon tubing containing Ir-192 seeds for an
HIV positive patient?  Our Radiation Oncology dept. wants to use bleach, but
there is concern that it will degrade the nylon.  The company who
manufactured the seeds says that they should only use gas sterilization, but
for several reasons this is not currently an option.

 Melanie Byers, Health Physicist   Vanderbilt Univ. Institutional Safety
byersmm@ctrvax.vanderbilt.edu     Radiation Safety Section
 (615)322-2057 (phone)             Nashville, TN
 This is my opinion only and does not necessarily reflect my employer's.