RE: Sterilization for I-192 Seeds.

{Original Msg: 'Re: Sterilization of Ir-192 Seeds in Nylon Tubing' from <root@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>
{
{     Bleach (Sodium Hyperchlorite) is not an acceptable procedure for
{     sterilization of any items for medical use.  Usually ethylene oxide is
{     the standard procedure for non-metalic items.  This is ususally
{     accomplished with a gas sterilization autoclave.  You might possibly
{     consider steam autoclaving sterilization.  I have steam sterilized
{     nylon tubing using steam autoclaving.  I would recommend that you
{     determine what pressure, temperature is need to render the HIV virus
{     inactive.  There are maybe other chemical available to perform
{     chemical sterilization, however, continue use of these products will
{     eventually degrade the nylon tubing.  Steam autoclave would be a
{     possible alternative, however, continue use of this method will
{     eventually degrade the tubing also.  Any major medical facility should
{     have a ethylene oxide autoclave.  This is usually an essential
{     standard equipment necessary to support operating room suites.
{
{     mike coogen sends
{
{