Plutonium References

     In addition to the references already mentioned on Radsafe,
     anyone interested in the facts about plutonium hazards can refer
     to:

          A Perspective on the Dangers of Plutonium, Sutcliffe, et al.
          Lawrence Livermore publication UCRL-JC-118825, 4/14/95

          Radioactivity and Health, J. Newell Stannard, several pages
          relating plutonium to other toxic materials, pp. 367 - 369.

          Atomic Overreaction, Jeff Wheelwright, Atlantic Monthly,
          April, 1995, pg. 26 - 38.

          Plutonium: Facts and Inferences, EPRI EA-43-SY, August,
          1976 (Cohen and Stannard contributors).

     Eric Goldin
     Southern California Edison
     (714) 368-7532
     goldinem@songs.sce.com

On Mon, 28 Aug 1995 CHATHO@delphi.com wrote:

> Remember the statement that Pu is the most hazardous substance/material known
> to man?  K.K.S. (Sam) Pillay at LANL is looking for citable references - pro
> and con - for a compliation.  Send any reference you know about to
> s_pillay@lanl.gov (he is not a radsaf subscriber - maybe a good response will
> get him to sing up).  My thanks for him in advance.
>
> Charles C. (Tommy) Thomas
> Approved by M. S. Thomas

---The statement was frequently made by Ralph Nader about 1974-75. I am
reasonably sure that it came from John Gofman. My paper-- B.L.Cohen,
Hazards from Plutonium Toxicity, Health Phys 32: 359-379; 1977--- cites
three references in  Nucleonics Week, Harpers Weekly, and a National
Council of Churches publication. Ted Taylor was also making similar
statements at that time, but I can't cite a reference. My paper gives a
thorough analysis and rebuttal of the statement; for example, it gives
comparative figures for sarin, botulism toxin, and anthrax spores, as
well as for many chemicals.