--------------------------------------
Date: 9/6/95 12:15 PM
To: GARY MANSFIELD
From: radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu
If the waste in question contained only Uranium, the exemption in 40   CFR
261.4 (4) would apply, but since lead is present, according to the _listed_
test,  40   CFR  262.11 (b), it is RCRA Hazardous waste.  The New Mexico
Environment Department has led Los Alamos National Laboratory to this
conclusion over years of interpretation.

Your friend may have a significant characterization problem with this
discovered material.  Since it is radioactive, Department of Transportation
(DOT) requires that he provide a list of the isotopes present, the total
curies of radioactivity present, the wattage for the package, the amount of
fissile material present, and a Transport Index (from 10CFR 71, pertaining
to criticality safety).  He also needs to determine if there are forbidden
substances, reportable quantities of materials, and the hazardous waste
constituent codes (e.g. D008 for lead) for the materials present.  Other,
more easily obtainable data are also required.

I hope there are no transuranic elements present, because he will be utterly
blocked from shipment because a). he will need a TRUPACT-II shipping
container, b). there is no place to ship it, c). he will have to apply for a
TRUCON content code for the material, and that takes time and yet more
characterization.

David Yeamans
CST-7, MS E516, (505) 665-8832
Los Alamos National Laboratory