Thoriated Welding Rods and Glass

Gamma dose rate from thorium-bearing materials has a funny
time dependence for the first few decades after purification
of the thorium.  Freshly-purified thorium experiences a drop
in hard gamma dose rate for about decade as the unsupported
1.9 year Th-228 decays away, only to be re-supported by the
ingrowth of 5.75 year Ra-228.  With large volumes of
thoriated materials, the dose rate comes from the amazingly
hot 2.6 MeV photon of decay product Tl-208.  I've measured
gamma dose rates of about 1 uSv/hour (that is, 10 times
background) next to pallets of zirconium sand (used in the
steel industry), which contains primordial thorium (as
opposed to freshly-purified thorium).  I concluded that dose
rates of up to 2.5 uSv/hour would be possible in a warehouse
full of "zirc sand."  I've also encountered a thoriated
glass lens that read 40 uSv/hour with a beta cap on an ion
chamber.  Spectroscopy showed a large proportion of the 2.6
MeV Tl-208 photon.  Look for that peak as the highest energy
peak in a 3X3 NaI background spectrum (along with the 1.46
MeV K-40 line, useful for calibration).  It is seen in many
building materials, tundish nozzles, some welding rods, fire
brick, and zirc sand where the thallium has grown in.  One
final item: while working on ultra low-level detection
systems for the scrap metal industry, we encountered a
flatbed semi-trailer that had one "hot" structural member
that had been welded on to repair a damaged one.  It was
shown to be contaminated with thorium.  That strut triggered
the gamma sensors every time it came into the yard.