Re: Thoriated Welding Rods

Dear Jay,

Your "realest" concern is that the welders throw these things all over
the site, grind them into the alphalt, cement, rugs, walls, etc. etc.
etc., then you come along and find "all this alpha contamination all
over everywhere!"  Now you get to prove to a release survey team, or
some other regulatory body, that the thorium is from welding rods, and
not from some licensed activity you were engaged in.  I think this is
referred to as "tramp" contamination, and it's generally an
administrative headache.

The cleverest system I saw was at a nuke power plant.  Thoriated rods
were kept in a special storage area, and the welder had to check out a
certain number, then return the stubs and unused rods (this was a
common practice for QA/QC reasons also).  This way, they always knew
that they didn't have hundreds of the things floating around, and the
rods were never numerous enough (outside of the easily monitored
storage room) to become a significant source of contamination.

Jim Barnes, CHP
RSO
Rockwell Aerospace; Rocketdyne Division

You wrote:

>     Hi Ya'll,
>
>     I have been asked to develop a policy on the use, storage, and
control
>     of thoriated tungsten welding rods.  Is there really a problem?
What