No Subject

Hello, Radsafers:

It has been brought to my attention that my comment that Joy Juice is not
hazardous may have been misleading.  My intent was that it is not hazardous
waste, per se.  However, the caution I wish to bring forth is that some of
the ingredients do have some hazard potential.

Specifically, rad. decontaminant detergents contain 18% Trilon A
(trinitroloacetic acid), which has been listed as a suspect human
carcinogen.  In the Joy Juice formulation, the concentration would be 1.8%
Trilon A.  This chemical has a skin and eye route of entry.  Therefore,
gloves should be worn, and eye protection if there is any danger of
splashing.  These detergents are also skin and eye irritants; slight for
skin and severe for eyes.  Use proper precautions and common sense in use.

Recommended concentrations for use of Multiterge are 2-5% for average
contamination, 5-10% for moderate and 10-20% for extreme contamination.
Our use is therefore within the recommended range.

One other caution:  EDTA is a minor irritant to eyes and throat if the dust
is inhaled or gets in eyes.  Be careful when handling the powder.

You may all be aware of these things.  But we do not want to leave the
impression that there are NO hazards.  As with all chemicals, one must
exercise caution and learn the risks and precaution. (Read the MSDS).

Are any of you aware of any  cases of injury or illness in the use of
Multiterge?  If so, I would be interested to hear them; we are gathering
information in order to better assess real risk with this compound.

Have a good weekend, all.

Regards,

Kristin

Kristin Erickson, Radiation Safety Officer
Office of Radiation, Chemical and Biological Safety
C124 Research Complex-Eng.
Michigan State University
East Lansing, Michigan 48824
Telephone: (517) 355-5008   Fax: (517)353-4871   Email: 10525kfb@msu.edu