Re: Th-228 supply

>To the person requesting Th-228,

I am sorry to be coming in late, having missed the original post requesting
Th-228. From 1965 to 1970 I had approximately the world's supply in a hood
at MIT for my thesis on the Yield-Mass Curve for the Thermal Neutron Fission
of Thorium-228. This consisted of approximately 200 micrograms. Most of it was
deposited on aluminum foils and sealed in ultrapure quartz for repeated
neutron irradiation.

I do not know of the whereabouts of this material at the present time, but a
starting point would be to check with the radiation safety office at MIT.
They might have the targets in storage, or can tell you where they went. If
usual channels fail, you might try Frank Masse directly, I know he was RSO
at the time I was there.

Good Luck

Michael Kay, ScD, CHMM
Senior Consultant