Re: Free release of Volume and Bulk Waste

Hi Pat,

You might want to take a look at the following NRC I&E Notices:

81-07:  Control of Radioactively Contaminated Material
83-33:  Nonrepresentative Sampling of Contaminated Oil
85-92:  Surveys of Wastes Before Disposal from Nuclear Reactor
Facilities

Also look at 10 CFR 20.2002, "Method for obtaining approval of proposed
disposal procedures," and IEN 83-05:  "Obtaining Approval for Disposing
of Very-Low-Level Radioactive Waste - 10 CFR Section 20.302."

The issues generally are:

    1)  Homogeneity of the materials:  What do you do to ensure that
the media is uniformly mixed and presents a uniform consistency when
being sampled (i.e., removal of "big chunks," mixing of media, etc.)

    2)  Methodology for the determination of the LLD of a detection
system:

        How are you going to sample and count the media.  What
assurance do you have that your sampling scheme is representative of
the overall bulk of materials to be released?  If it's a pile of dirt,
how do you obtain a sample from the center of the pile, and not just
the top?

        What steps have you taken to prepare a source and a calibration
scheme that matches the configuration and mixture presented by your
sampling program (i.e., do you have "validated" spiked samples that you
can use to calibrate your counting system--although arguably fun to do,
"counter geometry correction" calculations are too "iffy" and don't buy
you anything; you need to count something in the same configuration as
your sample sets).

We have been through this in some of our decontamination and
decommissioning work.  If you would like further information, please
feel free to call, and I'll hook you up with our gurus.

Jim Barnes, CHP
Radiation Safety Officer
Rockwell Aerospace, Rocketdyne Division
(818)-586-5766