HPS October Newsletter

                      HPS Newsletter -- October Issue

     The Health Physics Society's October issue of the Newsletter is being
prepared for the
printer. Members of the Society will receive the issue the last week in
September. The issue
includes the following:

          Cover Story -- Andy Hull

          Associate Editor Andy Hull reviews DOE's progress on the Human
Radiation
Experiments and brings us up to date on the latest from Secretary Hazel
O'Leary and Assistant
Secretary Tara O'Toole.

          Editorial -- Steve Garry

          Associate Editor Steve Garry questions the cost-effectiveness of
environmental
regulations. Steve is a regular and thoughtful contributor to the Newsletter.
For readers who don't
know Steve, we have a photo and a brief bio on him in this issue.

          President's Message -- Bill Mills

          Bill begins his year as President by stepping up to the mound and
tossing out a
number of provocative thoughts.

          Notes from Washington -- John Billett

          John gets to submit his column at the last minute and he tries to
keep us up to date
on the latest happenings on the hill. As he points out, October should be an
exciting month.

          Feature Article -- Dan Strom

          Dan rises to the challenge and defends the linear, no-threshold
paradigm. Since he
is the first one on "this side" to write for the Newsletter on this, we
allowed him 2 1/2 pages. In
a post note, Charlie Meinhold, adds his compliments.

          Letters to the Editor

          Lots of give and take here. All of the writers keep it short and to
the point. We
encourage that approach.

          Other Highlights

          The Nominating Committee announces the candidates for the 1996
offices of the
Society, the Academic Education Committee provides forms for fellowships and
travel grants,
Associate Editor Greg Smith begins a discussion on storage of mixed
radioactive and hazardous
waste, and Johanna Berkey, on behalf of the Cascade Chapter, invites us to
the annual meeting
in Seattle in July 1996.

          The October issue also includes a photo section on the Elda
Anderson awardees and
more photos from the annual meeting in Boston.

          We are off and running now on the November issue. Joyce Davis hopes
to convince
us that we no longer have to be afraid of the Internet, Bruce Busby tells us
what is and isn t
available on Internet, and Joyce and Bruce give suggestions for getting the
HPS on-line. We re
considering interviewing some of you for another article. We d like to let
our readers know who
does and who doesn t use and love the Internet.  We expect news and photos of
scholarships
awarded by the Power Reactor Section. You can add to the information and fun
by sending (US
mail, FAX, or e-mail) your contribution to the HPS Newsletter. Rt.1., Box
139H, Elysian, MN
56028; FAX: 507-362-4513; e-mail: hpsnews@aol.com.

          To receive the Newsletter, interested persons can join the HPS by
calling the HPS
Administrative Services at 703-790-1745 or via e-mail at hpsburkmgt@aol.com.