Deadman's Dosimeter

A sidelight on the message regarding home radiation kits.  When I was
in the Army I ran a Nuclear, Biological, and Chemical [NBC] School at
Fort Devens, MA.  I had an assortment of old stuff which, which were
sort of a mini museum. I had old Army issue colormetric battlefield
dosimeters.  They were about 6-8 oz & about 2.5 x 4 x.5 inches and had
four [possibly 5] vials of fluid which was to turn read at
50, 250, 600, & 1000 or 1200.  No consequences; delayed severe effects,
drop dead, and drop deader or drop dead quicker.

I wondered about the spread between 2 and 3 and what you do if your dose
is between 250 and 600 RADS. I suppose the answere was that they were to
inform the Commander of the status of his troops not give the troops
information or reasure them.

This message was not reviewed by superiors and any opinions are my own
and do not reflect those of the Denver VA Medical Center, Dept of
Veterans Affairs, the U.S. Government or any of it's agencies.

Peter Vernig vernig.peter@forum.va.gov