Radiation Measurement and the Family -Reply

Frank Borger wrote in part:

>I just picked up an interesting piece of Americana at a Garage Sale.
>It is a "Family Radiation Measurement Kit" made by Bendix corp....
>Somehow I can't see anybody in the 50's being reassured by buying
>this device and sticking it in their fallout shelter. Any meter with

By coincidence, I just received a note from Carl Siebentritt that
referred to this kit  -  Carl is as likely as not to have designed
the equipment in it. I'm sure he won't mind if I quote the pertinent
lines from his letter   "sold during the Berlin [wall] crisis as the
Bendix Family Radiation Monitoring Set. It should last forever.
Bendix had an order for a million sets before the scare subsided.
Customers included Radio Shack, Heathkit and major department
stores".

Best wishes

Paul Frame
Professional Training Programs
Oak Ridge Institute for Science and Education
framep@orau.gov