Follow-up to ADCO and PWN Status

Radsafers:

Last week I submitted some questions regarding the financial and compliance
status of ADCO Services and its PWN Environmental Division.  I received a
number of private messages thereafter.  Following lengthy talks with
personnel at the Washington State Department of Health, some answers were
supplied. Last Thursday I spoke at length with Tim Tucker, who runs the PWN
facility in Vista, CA.  I spoke of my concerns to him, and he addressed them
in a forthright and professional manner.  I also requested that he and Jim
Bell get together and draft a "position" statement that explains their
"side" of the story (as it turns out, they received quite a few phone calls
from clients who are subscribers to Radsafe).  In the interest of fairness
to ADCO and PWN, submitted herewith is Mr. Bell's verbatim response to that
request (my apologies to Mr. Bell for any typos):
----------------------------------

                                               September 15, 1995

                                               ADCO STATUS REPORT

It has been brought to our attention that certain unscrupulous competitors
are circulating information about ADCO Services, Inc. and it's west coast
branch PWN Environmental.  This information portrays our firm in a bad light
by distorting facts, telling half-truths and in some cases telling blatant lies.

At this time we would like to set the record straight by providing an update
on our company. We hope that by clearing the air in this manner everyone
will see this "smear campaign" for what it really is, an attempt to make our
company appear unstable.

Fiction:

ADCO is in deep financial trouble and is on C.O.D. with everybody.

Fact:

Although ADCO, as all other brokers in this business, experienced tough
times with the closure of Barnwell in 1994, it is financially sound and in
our opinion is in better shape than most other brokers at this time.  It
most certainly is NOT on C.O.D. with everybody!  Further, ADCO has expanded
it's services and has joint-ventured with an international company to
provide a very unique service to radioactive waste generators nationwide.
Other exciting developments at ADCO lie just ahead.

Fiction:

ADCO has "big" compliance problems.

Fact:

Neither ADCO nor PWN has compliance problems to our knowledge.  ADCO did
have an inspection several months ago and had a few relatively minor items
of non-compliance as is typical of firms of our type in this industry.
These have long since been corrected and preventative measures submitted to
the State of Illinois.

ADCO is also working with the State of Illinois to resolve the issue of
financial surety and has submitted a portion of the surety to the State.
This issue will soon be resolved.

Fiction:

ADCO was "run out" of the Rocky Mountain Compact.

Fact:

A business decision was made by ADCO to discontinue service to the Rocky
Mountain Compact due mainly to logistical constraints.

Fiction:

ADCO has had to pay huge fines because of their mistakes in the Rocky
Mountain Compact.

Fact:

ADCO did pay a small settlement to the Rocky Mountain Board as a result of a
situation at the end of 1994 that was totally beyond our control.  We were
stuck holding waste from a Colorado customer that had been suspended from
using the Washington site due to improper packaging of a previous waste
shipment.  This created an infraction of Rocky Mountain Compact rules and a
fine was proposed. We chose to settle as a matter of expediency and
certainly do not feel we were the guilty party in this case.  We also feel
any rational person would agree with us 100% upon learning the facts in this
situation.

Fiction:

ADCO will follow RAMP Industries and soon become a superfund site.

Fact:

This is total nonsense!  Unlike RAMP, ADCO has only a small number of
site-bound radioactive waste containers in either of it's facilities.
Further, ADCO has a complete staff on hand at both of our facilities at all
times and not just one or two individuals as was the case with RAMP at the
time it became a superfund site. Also, unlike RAMP, ADCO stores no
radioactive waste outdoors.

In summary we would like to assure all interested parties that while ADCO
and it's west coast branch, PWN, have gone through a difficult period over
the last year, it has now emerged stronger and in a better position than it
has ever been in.  It has experienced some of the same problems other lower
profile firms of it's type have encountered since the Barnwell shut-down.
We, however, refuse to stoop to the level of others who have chosen to smear
us by attempting to capitalize on the problems we have all had and
publicizing ours in any way possible.

James P. Bell, President
ADCO Services, Inc.
----------------------------------

It is not my position to attack or defend ADCO or PWN.  I have been a client
of theirs in the past, and was alarmed at some of the things I was hearing
from both competitiors and Washington State authorities.  I do have more
"in-depth" info regarding this issue, and will respond to those who inquire
privately.

Regards,

-Erick

 Erick Lindstrom