Re[2]: Dosimeter Location

     Hi, everybody,

     Thought I'd throw my two cents in on the badging issue.  Sandy's
     comment re: two dosimeters is appropriate for providing more
     information, but if you're going to use multiple badging, you might
     want to talk to somebody on the working group for the draft ANSI
     standard on multiple badging.  Savannah River folks have already
     conducted a comprehensive study on the implementation of the draft
     standard. (contact Dante' Wells)  {by the by, knowledge of the draft
     standard doesn't necessarily indicate support of the concept}  Also,
     Glenn Hoenes at PNL did a study for the NRC or EPRI (about a million
     years ago, I think, or at least somewhere around 1980) for assessing
     the doses to maintenance workers working in the head channels of
     generators at Nuclear Power Plants.  Might provide more insight than
     you need or want.

     Regarding Sandy's comment on Lens of the Eye Dose: If you are trying
     to assess LED, the location on the body at which the dosimeter is worn
     could be just as important as the shielding due to the dose gradients
     normally associated with these fields.  For these low doses, I'm not
     sure that the angular and energy response of film dosimeters analyzed
     in a mass-production process really yield anything more than a random
     number to enter into the personnel file.

     I guess the bottom line after all this is that I would recommend you
     establish a policy that gives you what you think is the most
     representative estimate of dose (for the limiting quantity) to the
     individual and gives the user the best feeling regarding your
     credibility.

     Rick Cummings      cumminfm@inel.gov

     *** Thoughts and opinions are my own and are not necessarily endorsed
     or even known to the Department ***