Re: Dosimeter Location

Shifting back to the DOE world, the guidance for 10 CFR 835 states that
multiple dosimeters should be used when "radiation fields vary by more than
50%  over the area of the whole body and the anticipated dose is greater
than 100mrem (1mSv)."  I'm sure there must be some similar guidance for 10
CFR 20.  This statement is for whole body monitoring.  Use of shielding will
probably vary the field sufficiently.

Similarly, the same guidance (G-10 CFR 835/C2 - Rev. 1, November 1994) says
you only need to monitor lens of the eye if the worker is expected to
receive more than 1.5 rem LDE dose in 1 year.  This guidance specifically
mentions X-ray machines and penetrations in shields.  Check NRC (10 CFR 20
guidance) for a similar statement.

Rob Gunter

_________________________________
>Subject: Dosimeter Location
>Author:  radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu at Internet-Mail
>Date:    9/26/95 4:32 PM
>

>HELP!!  I am caught in an existential loop.  I have been going around and
>then some regarding wearing of personal dosimeters in radiologic locales.  I
>have no trouble with film badge (or TLD) on collar outside leaded apron.
>
>I need policy (in writing) for the location of said dosimeter when a thyroid
>shield is worn.  I have always instructed to wear UNDER the thyroid shield,
>but I cannot find anything IN WRITING one way or the other.  Does anyone out
>here have definitive answer and documentation as to correct location.
>
>Thanks in advance as usual.
>
>richard
>
>kayrs@peak.org
>http://www.peak.org/~kayrs/
>Richard Kay, MSc, RT(R)
>

>             KNOWLEDGE IS THE FIRST PREREQUISITE IN RADIATION SAFETY 8^)

Robert J. Gunter
Lockheed Martin Energy Systems, Inc.
Oak Ridge National Laboratory
P.O. Box 2008