Re: Cobalt-57

For those in the DOE community, DOE N 5400.9 list the following in
the "Values for Exemption of Sealed Radioactive Sources from
Inventory and Integrity Testing":

    Less than 30 uCi (1 MBq):  Co-57 (and many other radionuclides)

This doesn't translate directly to transportation or waste
criteria but does suggest this amount will not represent a
significant dose factor to any member of the public (at least in
sealed source form).

Just another bit of data in the mix...

At 07:28 AM 9/27/95 -0500, you wrote:
>Hello Out There
>
>I am looking for *the* "exempt quantity" for cobalt-57.  Since it is not a
>reactor by-product, the NRC doesn't seem to address this material except
>for exempt concentrations, and an exemption from labeling (100 mCi).  The
>DOT/IATA seems to have picked up on this number (90 mCi) as well.  This is
>certainly too high for an exempt quantity.  The states take their guidance
>from the NRC so I would like to exhaust the resources of the NRC before
>approaching the states (CT.,TX. for openers). ...
>
>Carl
Michael P. Grissom
mikeg@slac.stanford.edu
Phone:  (415) 926-2346