Re[2]: Research Human Use Users

     From some of my previous data sheets I show that a lumbar/spine x-ray
     was on the order of 130 mRem/x-ray. Not a large amount, but one that
     might question the reason to give an individual ~ 400 mRem. What needs
     to be answered is the benefit of such exposure. I'm digging back over
     20 years now as to when I was a medical physicist, and I know things
     are much different today. I will be interested in other's opinions.

     Sandy Perle
     Supervisor Health Physics
     Florida Power and Light Company
     Nuclear Division

     (407) 694-4219 Office
     (407) 694-3706 Fax

     sandy_perle@email.fpl.com

Subject: Re: Research Human Use Users
Author:  radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu at Internet-Mail
Date:    10/2/95 11:36 AM

I would appreciate any assistance that this group can provide.  One of
the departments in my college is doing a research project in which they
would like to take two to three x-rays of a cervical spine to test the
effectiveness of a traction unit.  How much risk would be involved?  What
articles could they reference to document the risk?

Thank you.

Alan Bode
Collet
College of St. Catherine-Minneapolis