far afield

Litres per 100 km is not equivalent to expressing the "mileage" in square
metres since the litre is not interchangeable with metre; one is a volume
of length and the other relates to the volume occupied by one kilo of
water. It's the old freshman puzzler - one cc is not one ml.

This is getting far afield but units are important.

I'm not a freshman, but I thought that at S.T.P. the volume  of 1 gm of
water *was* 1 cm^3.

Enlighten me please!

Carl

  Carl A. Peterson                          Schlumberger-Doll Research
  e-mail:Peterson@ridgefield.sdr.slb.com    Old Quarry Road
  Phone: (203)431-5272                      Ridgefield, CT  06877-4108
  Fax:   (203)438-3819