Re: Film badge results

Sometimes the dosimetry vendor accidently damages a control.  I've had this
happen about once in ten years.  When damage occurs you really have no
option but to accept the use of their controls.  I've also had the vendor
claim that the control was misused.  If you know that the control was not
misused then you can go back to the vendor and discuss why they think the
control was misused.  Sometimes just because you put the control into a
badge holder the vendor thinks you misused it because the control may
have a higher reading than the rest of the badges it is the control for.
For some mystery reason I've had several ocassions where the control was
higher than the rest of the badges and my dosimetry vendor challenged me
with a misuse statement.  Once you can demonstrate that you didn't misuse
it and the control reading isn't that much out of line, they can recalculate
your exposures and issue a new report.

Bob Lommler
RSO, Illinois Dept of Nuclear Safety
(217) 786-7129