Regarding x-rays in human use research

ICRP Publication 62 entitled "Radiological Protection in Biomedical
Research" addresses this issue in general terms.  We have found that
the use of x-rays for human research is not uncommon.  Thanks to our
Protection of Human Subjects Committee (IRB), we (the Radiation Safety
Office) are notified whenever such research protocols enter the IRB
review process.  This is accomplished by statements in the IRB
paperwork which is forwarded to the researcher reminding them of the
necessity to contact the RSO if the research involves radiation.  From the
information provided, the effective dose is determined.  There are some
computer programs available to assist in the dosimetry but you have to
know what you are doing to utilize them properly.  "Standard" radiation
risk statements are included in the Informed Consent Statement (this was
included in a previous radsafe communication).  We have a separate
committee called the Machine Produced Radiation Safety Committee that
reviews and approves such protocols.  Any conditions or concerns
raised by the RSO and/or the MPRSC are forwarded to the IRB - they
have the final say.

Feel free to contact me directly for more details on this process at my
e-mail address or by phone at (317) 274-0330.