Re: Andotek, Inc. question

Lynn Dobbs asks:

>Has anyone ever dealt with a company called Andotek, Inc. from Irving,
>California?   One of our researchers was told that this company had
>great prices on P-33 (less than S-35 cost), but our office has never seen
>any information or a catalog from them.  Does anyone have experience
>with this vendor in purchasing radioactive materials?

Our Purchasing Department received their (small) catalogue.  They offer
dATP, dCTP, ATP, CTP and UTP P33 and P32, 30 tritiated items and 5 C14
items.  Their prices are low.

I asked for a free P32 sample from them to look at the packaging and
contamination levels.  The packaging is very similar to ICN.  They use the
same type of outer plastic container that is difficult to open when it is
frozen (they don't offer room temperature P32 or P33).  The vial is in a
sealed plastic bag exactly like the ICN ones.  The vial is made out of
acrylic.  The total vial is the thickness of a finger, i.e., much thinner
than NEN or Amersham vials.  It has a V vial insert that comes out of the
bottom acrylic shield.  I guess the idea is that you can melt the content
more quickly this way but you are left with unshielded material.  The lid to
the vial has an o-ring.  The vial I received did not have surface
contamination, but it is only one vial.  The big question to me is how good
is the vial to prevent the loss of material during transport due to changes
of pressure and therefore contamination of the outside of the vial.  The
similarities with ICN make me suspicious since they don't have a very good
record.  When I asked them what relationship they had with ICN if any, I was
told that several of their people used to work for ICN.

I would like to hear from others with experience with this company.

Esmeralda

  Esmeralda Party
Phone: (212) 327-8324
  Assistant Director, Laboratory Safety                      Fax: (212) 327-8340
  The Rockefeller University                                       e-mail:
partye@rockvax.rockefeller.edu
  1230 York Ave
  New York, NY 10021