Re[2]: Film badge results

         An additional item to consider:

               Exposure during transit may occur and may be
               detectabe if badges show a sharp exposure pattern which
               would result from the badge being exposed in a fixed
               position rather than from "all" directions as usually
               occurs when a worker moves around a facility.  Such an
               exposure may also be detected if you know how the
               badges were packaged and ordered during shipment and
               you observe a regular decrease in badge response as you
               move further from a source near the package surface.

         Dick Warnock

     Interesting issue, as always. Several things to consider:

     1. Where are the badges shipped to you from? The transit controls are
        used to subtract background from the personnel badges. You state
        that they were considered damaged, and that the processor used
        their controls. This poses an inconsistency to equate that to a
        dose of 10 to 60 mrem, as follows:

        a. Exposure due to a cross country flight, west coast to east coast
           equates to approximately 5 mrem. Therefore, if the processor
           arrived at a dose based on THEIR control badges, those
           maintained in their facility, a dose of 10 mrem might be
           feasible, but the doses approaching 60 mrem seems to me to be
           outliers.

        b. I suggest that you inquire of them as to what the raw readings
           were for your dosimeters and what their controls read, and then
           compare them to what the transit controls used in the past
           averaged, over a period of time to obtain some good statistics.

     2. You state there was some damage reported for the control badges.
        I'll hypothesize that there was also damage to the personnel badges
        and that probably equates to the false dose. I suggest that you ask
        for their reasons as to why they felt the controls were damaged and
        not the personnel badges as well.

     3. Determine if their chemicals were recently changed and were there
        any changes made to their processing and algorithm during this
        period.

     4. Any new personnel processing the badges .. maybe it's a training
        issue.

     5. Were these only finger badges or whole body badges as well?  Finger
        rings (TLD or film pose all kinds of interesting issues)

     Just some suggestions. ASK your processor questions. That's what you
     are paying them for.  Good luck..

     Sandy Perle
     Supervisor Health Physics
     Florida Power and Light Company