Re: Kidney function test

*** Reply to note of 10/03/95 10:22
If you had your exam at a hospital accreditated by the JCAHO (Joint Commission
on Accreditation of Hospital Organizations) they require radiology departments
to know (have physicists determine) doses for common procedures on each
machine. I used to work as a consulting physicist, and we went around with
anthropomorphic phantoms for all conceivable body parts and determined all
these doses. Since the iodine in IVP's does not appreciably alter the density
(and therefore the dose on phototimed machines), the Radiology Department
where you had your exam ought to be able to give you an "exact" dose. They can
take the dose for the KUB and other spots and add them up for that specific
machine. Of course this is a best case scenario, but my guess is, they know
the doses for your exam.

Usual disclaimers...
Trisha Edgerton
e-mail:  pedgerto@hw1.cahwnet.gov