RSO Needed?

You wrote:

>Hello RADSAFERS,
>

>2.  A colleague of mine is being asked to close out the NRC license
>    at her lab, which is being closed.  She knows nothing about
>    the field and is understandably nervous.  Any advice?

Unless your colleague is very familiar with regulations in the
radiation area, suggest that she get some help from a consulting Health
Physicist.  Generally, she will need to address the following issues:

    1)  What isotopes were in use over the life of the lab?

    2)  What operations were conducted in the lab?

    3)  What was the licensing status (i.e., "Specific", "Broad Scope",
etc.) of the lab?  Who (State or Feds) licensed it?

    4)  Is there any contamination in the lab?  How determined?  How
reliable is the survey?  Don't forget sewer lines and ventilation; they
may have gotten contaminated at some point.  Is environmental
contamination possible?

        If contaminated, has a decontamination plan been prepared and
approved by the regulatory agency with oversight of the lab?  Has a
survey plan been prepared and approved.  Will confirmatory surveys be
required?

        Who will oversee the work?

    5)  Where will the waste radioactive materials be sent?

        Was any hazardous waste mixed with radioactive materials
generated ("mixed hazardous waste").

    6)  Is the surrounding community hostile to the operation
(requiring extensive community relations work)?

My experience has been that regulatory agencies are pretty good about
providing guidance as to what they require for license termination.
For a small operation (benchtop), one can usually work with the
regulators on a step-by-step basis and get a license termination in a
reasonably timely manner.  For larger operations, the issues get fairly
complex and one will need help from someone who is familiar with
dealing with them.  It is NOT a good area to start learning the business.

Hope this helps.

Jim Barnes, CHP
Radiation Safety Officer
Rocketdyne Division, Rockwell Aerospace