Re: Need an RSO?

>Hello RADSAFERS,
>
>I hope this is the right list to ask these questions.  If not,
>would someone please point me in the right direction?  I have
>been lurking for over a week and you all seem to really know
>your stuff, so please bear with a beginner.
>
>1.  Does a lab need a full blown rad safety program if it uses
>    only Nickel63 ECDs?  What if some (or all) of those are covered
>    by a general HP license?

Ni-63 emits a low energy beta particle with an average energy of 17keV
(thats 2.74E-15 Joules in SI units - sorry, I couldn't resist!!). Thus
basically nothing gets out of the ECD except maybe a bit of Bremsstrahlung.
So you won't need area or personal monitoring. You should however perform
wipe tests on the source casing once a year or so and have it analysed by
liquid scintillation counting just to make sure that none of that nasty
radioactive stuff is escaping. You also should have written Working Rules
and Emergency Procedures. These will be very basic.

You probably should also have an RSO who has the responsibility for writing
and facilitating WR&EP, performing administrative functions related to
meeting the conditions of your licence, and organising the QA program (ie
wipe tests etc). The RSO will also be in a position to educate lab workers
who may not have an understanding of the hazard associated with the use of
Ni-63 ECDs.

You will of course be guided by your laws.