Foot Pedals on Sinks

Sue:

My response is along the lines of that given by Carol Lentz earlier, with
something added. The Radiological Health Handbook does list suggested
laboratory design based on the radionuclide toxicity and quantity. For a "Type
II Workplace" (i.e. using P-32 in normal operations in quantities exceeding
1 mCi) the International Labor Office guidelines say you "should" have either
foot OR elbow-operated washing facilities. You can take this however you want.

Here at UW we only have one foot-operated sink on campus, and that's in our
waste disposal facility. To ask departments to pay for such things in every lab
using millicurie amounts of P-32, S-35 or C-14 would be a bit much. We have
departments who say they can't even afford to install eye-washes or safety
showers. Sinks should be part of every lab survey, and are ususally easy to
decontaminate.

Jim F. Herrold, RSO         U    U W       W 	University of Wyoming
e-mail:	herrold@uwyo.edu    U    U W   W   W  	Environmental Health & Safety
phone:	(307) 766-3277      U    U  W W W W   	312 Merica Hall
fax:	(307) 766-2255      UUUUUU   W   W      Laramie, Wyoming 82071-3413
"Opinions are my own and do not represent those of the University of Wyoming,
or anyone else for that matter. All mistakes are the fault of the computer."