Re: Foot Pedals on Sinks

I found your reference, in Table 11.1.1.1, to foot "or elbow" operated sinks.
They're recommended for Type II laboratories.

I wonder though - Why aren't more such fixtures found in public restrooms?
Isn't the spread of disease germs a more worthy problem into which to sink
resources than a little radioactive contamination?  It certainly effects
more people.

Somebody must think it's worth it.  I've experienced fixtures in airport
restrooms that went beyond foot controls:  The water turned on with some
kind of sensor, as long as your hands were kept under the faucet!  No need
to touch anything.  No need to turn the knobs to "off" with one's
freshly-cleaned hands (the same knobs one turned "on" when one's hands were
dirty ...).

Come to think of it, I still had to grab the doorknob (thus dirtying my
hands again!) on the way out of that restroom.  Why not replace the
hand-knobs with something foot-operated (just a stirrup would do; no need
for motors and power sources then)?

Just something to think about.

Albert Lee Vest           The Ohio State University
Health Physicist    Room 103 1314 Kinnear Road Bldg
(614)292-1284                     1314 Kinnear Road
avest@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu   Columbus OH 43212
My employer did not review or approve this message.