RE: Foot Pedals on Sinks

Sue,

Foot pedals on sinks are a two edge sword in radiochem labs.
My background is in nuclear chemistry prior to doing the
radiation safety thing.  I worked in labs that had foot pedals
and liked them.  If they are next to your hot area you can wash
your gloves and hands without a chance of contaminating faucets.
We used to use heavy rubber glove for beta protection during
some operations, so we needed to be able to wash them, but
it is convenient to be able to wash disposables also.  Especially
if people are using the somewhat expensive nitrile gloves that
I happen to like.

The bad side of foot pedals can be handled with training.  They
frequently are not easy to control with any sensitivity.  If
someone is washing contaminated objects, it is easy to launch
the activity.  I've seen contaminated ceilings!  Users should never
stick a centrifuge tube, etc under the tap and then step on the pedal.

Dale Boyce
dale@radpro.uchicago.edu