ethics

The problem with attempting to write a code of ethics is...
  1. one wants to set rather lofty, idealist goals for the profession, but
  2. they need to meet some 'common denominator' for the group in question, and
  3. they have to be written in a manner that they can be 'enforced'.

These a conflicting requirements.
Our current litigious environment certainly forces #3 to be the dominant
issue if there is to be any adverse action associated with violating the
code (e.g., loss of membership, loss of certification, etc.).

So, as opposed to ethical standards set by highly variable personal opinions,
those formulated by a specific organization must be viewed in the context in
which they were formed.

After seeing the difficulties of the AAHP, the AAPM, and the AIHA to come up
with statements of ethics I can assure you that it is not an easy process.

SLABACK@MICF.NIST.GOV
   ...a little risk, like a bit of spice, adds flavor to life