RADSAFE digest 676 -Reply

>>> On 9 Oct 95 10:36, Judd Sills wrote: >>>
.... Frankly, I think  that as CHPs, we must avoid making part of our
business that of "offering professional testimony."  If we are subpoenaed,
fine, then we should testify according to our own professional and
technical skills, but otherwise, stay out of the courts  if we are not
otherwise involved with the legal case.

I must disagree with Judd.  By his argument, only corporate litigants are
entitled to the services of an expert witness (ethical or not).  In our
business, the little guy often plays the part of the "intervener" concerning
things "nuclear" or "radioactive," but that is not always the case.

If your services are requested, evaluate the merits of the complaint and
decide whether your expertise would allow you to become involved ('just
because you're a CHP, doesn't mean you're an expert -- you still have to
qualify as an expert in the eyes of the court).  If that's a "GO," establish a
reasonable fee (not too many HPs are making million dollar salaries) and
let the CHiPs fall where they may! (pun intended)

"d." is my answer too!  Kudos to Michael Grissom on his previous reply on
this issue.

Michael Ford
Battelle Pantex
Amarillo, Texas
806.477.5727
mford@pantex.com
caveat lector:  My employer doesn't know
I'm doing this!