Re: Voltility of S35 compounds

Although I have not performed the experiment you discuss, I have used
S-35 labeled amino acids in protein synthesis assays.  I would be
surprised if the S-35 moiety would become airborne (gaseous sulfur
dioxide?) under normal circumstances.  However, I would caution the PI
with the following:  1)during centrifugation, be sure all tubes are
balanced as closely as possible.  Any failure can result in aerosols
and inhalation; 2)wait until centrifuge comes to a complete stop if the
procedure is not performed in an interlocked system 3) if a vacuum
system is necessary (ultracentrifugation), monitor exhaust area with
typical survey meter.  4) upon completion - surface swipes of
centrifuge interior and, if possible, vacuum system (traps, etc.).

Of course, a brief safety lecture on proper isotope handling and lab
safety procedures is a given.

paul charp (pcharp@ix.netcom.com)