Re: Re[2]: NIH Incident

Since I am not an MD, I haven't seen the term 'brain disease' used to
describe the collection of symptoms we seem to agree are anxiety related,
but I see how that term is medically correct. My point, however, was
intended to be that the news reports (I have read many of the them) convey
the basic events of the incident and quotes from the victim claiming these
symptoms arising from her radiation exposure. An uneducated public is
hearing that radiation causes sleeplessness, loss of appetite, etc. Some (in
casual conversations) have doubted the symptoms, but I see no reason for
that. It is reasonable to understand how fear of radiation, so common in
this country, can lead a pregnant woman to heightened anxiety for herself
and her child. It is also reasonable to understand how the fear may have
been caused by strong reaction of management and health physics staff to the
incident, where that strong reaction was to the fact that the incident
occurred and its associated loss of program control, but may have been
perceived by her as their reaction to severe health consequences. I offer
these as scenarios because I have seen them happen.

Also, I must reiterate my point about the victim's perspective as a woman.
As a male, I will never expereince this perspective and can only speculate
about it. But, in my opinion, the fact of her pregnancy must bear directly
on her response to a threat to her health and also a threat to her unborn
child's health. The strength of the that reaction is something I cannot
judge, but it is entirely possible that the symptoms may not have occured at
all or may have been substantially less severe if she was not pregnant, not
because of any biological effect of pregnancy, but due to the absence of
immediate fear for a child's health.

As an aside, how unfortunate would it be the press to obtain and publish a
medically correct opinion that the woman suffers from a brain disorder (the
collection of symptoms we've been discussing)? This country has an
embarassing history of failing to understand or accept people with
brain/emotional/mental disorders, and tends to lump them all into the same
definition (shame on us).