Re: Iron 55

Date:          Thu, 12 Oct 95 16:14:57 -0500
From:          LAURENCE E AUMAN <LAUMAN@pantex.com>
To:            Multiple recipients of list <radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>
Subject:       Iron 55

Could someone provide me with the exposure rate constant for Fe-55
(mrem/hour/microcurie at some distance)?

Thanks

I have recently calculated relevant data for Fe-55 from first
principles.  The following values assume a point source of Fe-55.

        1 MBq of  Fe-55 at 30 cm gives a dose rate of 1.27 microSv.h-1

This may need "translation" into the older units which I underatand
are still in use in the USA, An equivalent statement would be:

       1 mCi of Fe-55 at 30 cm gives a dose rate of 4.7 mrem.h-1

These values assume no attenuation of the radiation but the very low
energy X rays from Fe-55 would be significantly attenuated in the
walls of a container and elsewhere,

            regards to all,

            Iain McLintock

Larry Auman