Gross Beta Drinking Water Standard Requirements

  If a site with groundwater samples sent for gross alpha and beta analysis
  as in accordance with 40 CFR 141 had > 15 pCi/l for alpha > 50 pCi/l for
  beta measurments, the regulations are clear as to what is required for
  further anaysis for the exceedences of gross alpha, but it is not clear to
  me on the requirements for further analysis for the gross beta
  exceedences.  Background was determined for the area and the results were <
  5 pCi/l and < 50 pCi/l for alpha and beta respectively.  We are also
  collecting new samples, filtered and unfiltered to see if there was any
  turbidity effect.

  Question:  What radionuclides and what analysis do I analyze for to explain
  the high gross beta measurements?

Meg MacLeod
  meg_macleod@abbsmtp.abb.com