while the mood of the Federal government is cost-cutting. I will send my
letter as soon as I get a copy of the original article. Anyone else
willing to do that?

*** Reply to note of 10/17/95 08:47

From: D. Lee Beidelman
To: RADSAFE --INELMAIL RADSAFE

Subject: Re: Linear Hypothesis
It seems to me that current efforts by some to debunk the use of the linear
assumption, with a view to change public policy, are highly unlikely to
succeed.

A better approach is suggested in the October 1995 HP Society Newsletter
editorial by Steven Garry, CHP, entitled "The Cost-Effectiveness of
Environmental Regulations Questioned".  The point is made that, for example,
the average Consumper Product Safety Commission rule costs $68,00 per
life-year saved, while radionuclide emission control at nuclear power plants
costs about _$100 million_ per life-year saved.  The last figure, I assume,
is calculated by using the linear assumption (i.e., theoretical lives lost).

I would suggest that those interested in this topic read Steven's editorial.

D. Lee Beidelman (beidelma@tis.inel.gov)

Standard Disclaimer: these are my personal opinions only.