Re: linear hypothesis

You may have something here. Both the ICRP and NCRP have always had a
dose value below which you didn't have to monitor. So, if you don't
monitor below that level, how can you do ALARA below that level? I don't
remember the value for members of the public (if there ever was one).
Anyone know it?

*** Reply to note of 10/17/95 15:34
To: RADSAFE --INELMAIL RADSAFE

Subject: Re: linear hypothesis
On Tue, 17 Oct 1995, Bob Flood wrote:

>     ...text removed...

> My personal suggestion for BRC: 5,000 mrem is the maxmimum dose tolerated by
> current regulation. 500 mrem is the level below which no licensee is
> required to monitor for occupational exposure. It seems straightforward to
> me that, if a licennsee controls doses to less than the threshold at which
> monitoring is required, then ALARA has been achieved. If a lower value is
> more appropriate for ALARA considerations, how can the 500 mrem monitoring
> threshold be justified? The two seems to go together as a set.

Only the NRC allows a 500 mrem monitoring threshold; DOE requires
monitoring to begin at 100 mrem.  They also require that they be notified
of single exposures exceeding 100 mrem.  Does this mean the 500 mrem
threshold is not justified?

Liz Brackett
internal dosimetry consultant
ebracket@freenet.columbus.oh.us