Dose Control or Not

Sandy Perle writes:

>      The argument that NO actions be taken if the dose is not projected to
>      exceed 5 rem/yr. begs the question - How will we know? If we are not

I think this is where a LOT of confusion comes in. I don't think there will be
a great reduction in HP work, and there will be MUCH more professionalism in
HP work, with changes that require addressing the scientific knowledge, and a
professional role to address costs.

OF COURSE, there will need to be surveys. The real, large, costs of HP to be
saved are NOT in HP itself!  They are in the organization response/costs to
the knowledge that HP has! From work planning, controls, shielding, clothing,
etc.

HP has the potential of becoming a real part of the facility management team
concerned about costs and benefits, and rad exposure assurances.  The current
hard driven objective to just record and reduce dose would be replaced by
making rational and well-documented plans and decisions about rad exposure and
costs.  HP to the fore! regain a professional role in those organizations!

BUT, when good area monitoring and surveys tell you that an area does not
require the horrendous costs of rad protection for planning, protective
clothing, time limits, placing shielding, etc, etc, YOU will potentially save
the organization $-millions/year in unnecessary and unjustified costs.  (I
also think this role plays into the issue of professional ethics. How do you
morally justify making a maintenance job cost $100,000s when it could be done
for $10,000 often at the equivalent "cost" of a few x-rays to a 5-person crew,
or even a few rem each to a work crew, when the actual data on rad health
effects is unambiguous about the lack of adverse effect (even benefit from,
eg, the Nuclear Shipyard Worker Study?!) of such exposure.

>      expected to take any unnecessary financial actions, then we need not
>      take surveys, need not practice contamination control, need not
>      provide access control, need not do anything. The fact that doses for
>      the most part ARE < 5rem/yr. is because we HAVE taken proactive steps
>      to reduce these exposures.

Right.  BUT at what cost?,  and at what justifiable cost??  Again, think of
this as enhancing the role of HP.  You must still know the dose-rate to allow
work and expected dose for a job.  HP doesn't go away (though there may be
some efficiencies in making surveys and using area monitors to "screen", etc).
 BUT, YOU can save the organization $-millions by creating sound policies and
programs that do not over-react to rad exposure forcing high costs on the
organization in the many ways they are being driven (and then we get to waste
management....   :-)

>      Sandy Perle

Thanks.

Regards, Jim Muckerheide