Dose Control or Not

     The argument that NO actions be taken if the dose is not projected to
     exceed 5 rem/yr. begs the question - How will we know? If we are not
     expected to take any unnecessary financial actions, then we need not
     take surveys, need not practice contamination control, need not
     provide access control, need not do anything. The fact that doses for
     the most part ARE < 5rem/yr. is because we HAVE taken proactive steps
     to reduce these exposures. To say that this trend will continue if we
     take no further steps is no different than the Federal Reserve's steps
     increasing interest rates to the point that it strangled the economy,
     with the idea that it would stem inflation. And when there was no
     inflation, they took credit for it. The fact was, as espoused by many,
     that there was no reason to expect any inflation in the first place.
     Same thing with dose control.

     Sandy Perle
     Supervisor Health Physics
     Florida Power and Light Company