NRC Prelim. Notification of Unusual Occurence

The annual limit of intake for P-32 is 600 uCi (10CFR20 Appendix B). Maybe
I am dumb, but is 579 still less than 600?   NRC requirements (10CFR20.2202)
call for immediate notification if an individual receives >25 rems or more
TEDE, 24 hour notification if an individual receives >5 rems in a 24 hour
period.  The NRC also requires a written report within 30 days if an
individual receives an exposure in excess of the limits (e.g., TEDE > 5
rems).  With this in mind, why is an unusual occurence report justified?
If an individual received 4.8 rem TEDE from external radiation over the
course of a year, would the NRC issue an unusual occurence report?

I also take issue with the statement, "The information [about this event]
is basically all that is known by Region I staff..."  I gave the Region I
staff much more credit - I thought that they at least knew their name,
home address, and even some health physics :-).

Kent Lambert, CHP
LAMBERT@hal.hahnemann.edu

These are my views and not my employers.