Re: Military Ship Radar

Randy et al.,

The US Navy has a standing order that no EM/RF producing
equipment is to be energized "...when personnel are
working aloft".  The majority of non-ionizing radiation
is generated by antennas relatively high on the super-
structures of military and civil ships.

Power levels fall off rapidly near docks or even lower
decks (assuming a system should happen to be energized
while in port, and that the near-field/in-field
effects are the most important for bioeffects with the
far/fringe fields significantly less important).  Also,
many of these systems are highly directional (for
example, targeting areas at or above the horizon line).

The US Navy Environmental Health Center (NEHC) may be
able to provide more detailed info/reports, a great many
have been done [sorry I don't have any email addresses
for them].

This information is disclaimed as unofficial (that is,
unreviewed by any agency or employer) as usual.

At 12:50 PM 10/20/95 -0500, you wrote:
>To: RADSAFE --INTERNET RADSAFE@ROMULUS.EH
>
>Can anyone give me a report or reference to a
>report/study done on ship radar?  Specifically, the
>civilian crane operators are concerned about
>working near the radar from the navy ships (and yes
>Canada has ships in their navy) at the dock.
>
>Radiation Protection, Ministry of Health, ...
Michael P. Grissom
mikeg@slac.stanford.edu
Phone:  (415) 926-2346
Fax:    (415) 926-3030