Re: Military Ship Radar

Randy,

Although I do not have a reference, I used to serve in US Submarine
Force.  The operators of the crane should voice their concerns to the
"ships force" and ask for either training or their procedures concerning
the operation of the radars and precautions taken.  I know from
experience that when there are workers in the sail of a submarine there
is an announcement made every 15 minutes stating that there are workers
in the sail and not to radiate from any radars.  This aslo goes the
opposite way, if there is operation/testing of the radars there is an
exclusion are set and access to the sail is restricted.  Also, there are
not many operational reasons to operate the radars in port (that I can
remember i was just a nuke machinist mate).  but bottom line, have them
ask for training or an explanation.  the Navy should respond
appropriately.

Denny
CMU, RSO (maybe)
dr4i@andrew.cmu.edu