Re: MIT Prelim Unusual Occurrence

Sandy:

NRC notification is required when an event "involving the loss of control
of licensed material ... that may have caused or threatens to cause ... an
individual to receive in a period of 24 hours a TEDE of 5 rems."  NRC
reporting is required for an occurrence in which "doses in excess of the
... occupational dose limits for adults."

The point of my comment is that if the NRC wants licensees to report
incidents voluntarily (i.e., even though they are not required to by
regulation), then the NRC should not take these events into the public arena
until they have investigated the incident.  Why would a licensee
voluntarily report events if the NRC is going to report the incident to
the public and to Congress, before it has conducted a thorough
investigation?

I disagree your statement that the fact that it was reported makes it an
unusual occurrence.  I once reported an exposure on a film badge which,
after investigation could only have come from the badge being deliberately
sabotaged (placed in an irradiator).  The individual was not exposed.
(If she had received the exposure she would have been dead.)  The fact
that I reported it does not make the incident an unusual occurrence.

Would you agree that it would not be reportable and would not be an unusual
event if this was a case of a 1 uCi uptake due to mouth pipetting?
Clearly it would be a violation of procedures.  I suggest that if it were
only 1 uCi, then the NRC would have found it on a routine inspection, would
have cited the institution, and mitigated the violation due to self
discovery and prompt, comprehensive corrective actions.  Then the
question becomes at what level does the event become an unusual occurrence?  I
believe that it should be at the reporting level - a TEDE of 5 rems.

This event very well may warrant classification as a unusual
occurrence, but more facts are needed.  (Remember, the NRC said that
the initial report was all the information that they had.)