Re: MIT Prelim Unusual Occurrence

     Ken. I would suggest that even though the exposure "may" turn out to
     be less than allowed by regulations, the event was "unplanned" and as
     such has most likely violated procedures within the facility. In that
     event, the NRC still likes to use the terms "had the potential to
     exceed regulatory limits" and the only reason the incident "might be"
     less than regulatory limits, it was only by chance and without any
     interaction/intervention by the licensed facility. In the nuclear
     power industry we have seen many facilities cited for this very
     problem, the potential to exceed while not, after a thorough
     evaluation of the actual dose to be assigned, or shall I say, the
     "engineered" dose reconstruction, which miraculously seems to be just
     under the regulatory limits.

     The fact that the incident was reported makes it an unusual event in
     itself. After a review of the facility I surmise that they will at a
     minimum be cited for violating their procedures, not having the proper
     precautions in place to preclude this incident from happening, and
     probably a citation of inadequate training.

     In any event, the incident was unfortunate and should not have
     happened in the first place. Remember, the regulatory limits don't
     imply good health physics practices. Those below being good and those
     above meaning bad. Even with a small unexpected uptake or a small
     external exposure is an indicator that the process is in trouble and
     needs some serious evaluation. Countermeasures are necessary with a
     follow-up program to ensure that the system functions as necessary.

     Sandy Perle
     Supervisor Health Physics
     Florida Power and Light Company

     (407) 694-4219 office