MIT Prelim Unusual Occurrence

The NRC prelim notification of unusual occurrence states that MIT
assessed the _maximum_ uptake to be 579 microcuries.  Clearly,
independent verification is warranted; however, my point is that since
this is not an event which requires NRC notification why is the NRC
making it an unusual occurrence?

I agree that any "media" event involving licensed material should be
reported to the NRC, and that the NRC should take appropriate inspection
and enforcement actions if _violations_ of the regulations occurred.
But, categorizing an uptake of radioactive materials under the allowable
limit as a unusual occurrence (thereby reporting the occurrence to
Congress) seems unwarranted.  At the time of the "Preliminary
Notification of Event or Unusual Occurrence" the NRC had no knowledge of
whether any regulations had been violated.  I maintain that if this had
been an external exposure the event would not have been categorized as such.

What is (or should be) of concern to RSOs at Universities is whether this
is a copycat of the NIH incident.

Kent Lambert
LAMBERT@hal.hahnemann.edu

Standard disclaimer.