Small University Programs

     I would like to hear from RSO's of other academic radiation safety
     programs who are applying for broad-scope licenses or have had recent
     experience with such applications.  Our program faces a crisis in that
     there is only one professional position, that of RSO, and the history
     of our specified license has shown the need for an assistant RSO and a
     technical position.  On the other hand, we anticipate only ten to
     twelve users under the broad license, and no additional staff
     unless/untill the use increases.  Instead of a broad-scope license, we
     may be reduced to individual licenses for each user.

     The only alternative appears to be an "innovative" approach which will
     somehow combine a structure based on individual programs for each lab
     with a central RS Office and/or committee providing timely approval of
     research and teaching programs.  The individual programs would bear
     the burden of maintaining control of radioactive materials, enabling
     the RSO to keep knowledgeable of all activities and to review
     proposals, through minimizing technical and routine tasks.

     I am particularly interested in ideas and experiences regarding
     maintaining a small program through inevitable absences of the RSO for
     meetings, vacation, illness, and so forth.

     Thomas Graham

     graham@ccmail.nevada.edu