Re: Small University Programs

Our program has about 500 users and 100 principal investigators (PIs).
The Radiation Safety Staff consists of an RSO, ARSO, and about 1/3 of an
administrative assistant.  We contract out monthly surveys and other
services.  We have a specific materials license with no Radiation Safety
Committee.  Use is allowed on the license Òby, or under the supervision
of, individuals designated by the Radiation Safety OfficerÓ.  I maintain
a database of the userÕs names, authorized isotopes and amounts.  The PIs
are issued authorizations to use and purchase isotopes, which also
includes the people who work under them.  These are de facto individual
licenses.  This arrangement seems to be fairly typical in academic
institutions or research facilities like ours.  Much faith and trust are
placed in the PIs to properly supervise their workers.  When IÕm away,
the ARSO and AA handle things.  We also have some IH staff in another
group to help out.  Please feel free to contact me directly if you have
any specific questions.

John Zummo, RSO
Genentech, Inc.
zummo@gene.com