Re: Small University Programs

Dear Tom,

I may be "shotgunning" this a bit broadly, but I'm not familiar with Nevada's
regulatory twists and turns.  You might want to check out 10 CFR 33, as there are
several classes of Broad Scope Licenses (under federal regulations), and Nevada
may recognize them in order to mimic the federal statues.

As I don't know you specifics, it's hard to advise exactly, but it would seem
that your "innovative" approach is actually a reasonable implementation of a
Broad Scope License.  I would think this approach would work in California, as
long as you had it fully documented, could demonstrate experience and training,
the level of administrative presence matched the potential hazards etc. etc.

While not a university, we operate under a Broad Scope "A" license here at
Rocketdyne with approximately 35 principal users (it varies from time to time).
Each program is granted a use authorization, which is essentially a rad safety
procedure issued by RP&HPS.  The principal user is then tasked with implementing
the program and assuring compliance.  RP&HPS then provides an oversight and
advice service.  The system is very flexible and can be easily tailored to the
risk.  [From what I've been able to tell from other university RSOs in the area,
this is a fairly common approach.]

Jim Barnes, CHP
Radiation Safety Officer
Rockwell Aerospace, Rocketdyne Division