Subject: Re: linear hypothesis
Author:  radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu at Internet-Mail
Date:    10/23/95 10:07 AM

I meant 5 REM not 5 mrem. Remember, the human experience is that the
background dose rate has been decreasing for as long as humans have been
a species. The dose rates millions of years ago were significantly
higher than they are now because, in millions of years, at least some of
the natually occurring radioactive material existing then has decayed to
what we see now. And who knows what changes in the cosmic ray exposure
rate have taken place in the past. By-the-by, is there any way to
measure the cosmic ray dose change as a function of time in the past??
Any one out there have any data?

  So, I think humans can tolerate a significant annual dose, otherwise
we'd all be dead by now. Al.