Re: Exportation of RAM

On Tue, 24 Oct 1995 Tad_Blanchard@ccmail.gsfc.nasa.gov wrote:

>      Maybe we don't need any approval but...
>
>      We have a UV lamp containing 10uCi of Nickel-63.  Are there any import
>      restrictions on shipping this type of device to Canada?  It must be
>      shipped back to the original manufacturer for testing purposes.
>
>      (We do know about the limited quantity/instrument article requirements
>      of IATA)
>
>      Any help will be appreciated.

This amount (10 uCi) is below the limit specified in Schedule IV of the
Transport Packaging of Radioactive Materials Regulations (Canada), so as
long as (as described in section 5, Radioactive Material of Limited
Activity) the following conditions are met, you'll be fine:

the rad level at any point on the external surface of the package does
not exceed 5 uSv/hr  (0.5 mRem/hr) and ...
activity of non-fixed ram on external surface is less than the specified
amount (in this case, your source is so small there is no possibility of
exceeding this)  and...
the package does not release any of its contents during normal transport
and...
the ram is not explosive  (!)  and...
the package is a half-decent box (eg cardboard) (okay, so I paraphrased a
little...)   and...
(most important)  the packaging bears the safety mark "RADIOACTIVE" in
such a manner that the mark is immediately visible and legible to a
person opening the package.

Sorry that's a bit of a mouthful, but I gave you the whole thing so that
you would be certain that it's okay to ship this in a box without
radioactive stickers on the outside.

Regards,

Chris Davey,  RSO    Cross Cancer Institute,   Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
			cdavey@med.phys.ualberta.ca