Re: Reqeust for Kerala Control Data

     With respect to the many comments that because personal observations
     of radiation induced illnesses haven't been seen, the conclusion drawn
     is that there is no causal relationship of radiation exposure (even at
     5 rem/year) and illness. I'll summarize from the OJ Trial, that the
     fact that something isn't "seen" doesn't mean that it isn't there.

     To arrive at any conclusion based on data would require a significant
     epidemiological study . As we are aware, many have been done, be it
     the ORNL study, Hanford Site study and the Japanese survivors. The
     problem with many of those studies is that they are based on high
     doses and the inability to eliminate other causal factors of cancers,
     such as lifestyle and heredity. To determine any correlation at the
     lower doses would be a monumental task. One would say that the study
     should be performed, even though it would be very costly, since many
     are spending large sums of dollars currently to remain below
     regulatory limits.

     Statistics is interesting, in that with motivation one can conclude
     anything they want to. Just chose the sample population, do the
     calculations, don't like the results, thrown in some outlier
     confidence limits, eliminate the data and bingo, the results that were
     desired are miraculously concluded.

     The current system works, exposures are lower than ever, work is being
     accomplished, and I differ with many that we are spending exorbitant
     amounts of money to accomplish this. I don't believe that NCRP, ICRP,
     BEIR and other distinguished scientists have a hidden agenda behind
     the various reports on radiation dose and negative results.

     I suppose the argument is interesting, but before we take that leap of
     faith to unravel the very foundation of what we have been teaching as
     well as implementing for oh so many years, we better have some damn
     good data behind us. We in the power plant industry have already faced
     the training issues involving the TEDE concept, reduced respiratory
     protection program, reduced medical physicals, etc. with the
     implementation of less conservative regulations and guidance. The
     plain fact is, a majority of radiation workers just don't believe us
     anymore, when we begin to minimize the risks of radiation exposure.
     What do you believe that they will think if we ever promote and even
     contemplate implementing a program where any dose < 5 rem/yr. is
     considered acceptable without any intervention by those who are
     responsible for ensuring the health and welfare of the working
     population, as well as those in the general public?

     Sandy Perle
     Supervisor Health Physics
     Florida Power and Light Company
     Nuclear Division